Thursday, June 3, 2010

Welcome to MTC!!!

Hello All,


As some of you will remember, my last blogging experience revolved around a seemingly aimless trip to Europe.  Within it, I fear a lot of the blog's content revolved around my lack of money, inability to find work, and general distaste for the French.  Well you'll be glad to know that I am now a little older, a little wiser, and am back at it with a new, improved, and hopefully more optimistic story to tell.

On June 1, I began a graduate program through the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) called the Mississippi Teacher Corps.  It is a two year program where college graduates from around the country gather to teach at "critical needs" schools in Mississippi, while pursuing a Master's degree in Education, specifically Curriculum and Instruction.  I myself will be teaching at a school in Indianola, Mississippi.  Now as you scratch your head and think to yourself, "self, why have I heard of Indianola, MS?", allow me to excitedly remind you that Indianola is the home of Mr. B.B. King!

Though the school year will start in August, the program starts in June so we can get some experience in the classroom.  Everyone in my class (First Years as we're referred to) will teach summer school.  Consequently I will be living in beautiful Oxford, Mississippi until late July, and afterward will make my move to the Delta.

All participants in the Teacher Corps keep blogs.  They serve as a way for the instructors to track work, as well a way for the participants to personally reflect on their teaching.  This blog will do just that, and I hope that those of you who follow it find some sort of enjoyment in it.  I guess I envision it to be like a live version of Conroy's classic The Water is Wide, except the circumstances are different, and he has talent.  I also want to forewarn all of the grammatically savvy people out there that I am not, so please accept my apologies up front.

I hope these words find you well, wherever you are.  Sorry for all of the hyperlinks.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

3 comments: