Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Apollo's Creed

A great encouragement in my time as a member of the Mississippi Teacher Corps has been the second-year teachers.  Again, because the program is two years, the term "first-years" indicate the teachers in their first year of the program and the term "second-years" are clearly those going into their second year.  I know, it's so UVA, right?  While their words are helpful and affirming, more than anything, their presence has been an encouragement for me.  The fact that they are still here, still standing, and still excited about things is a neat testimony to the effect this job can have on you.  In light of that, I've wondered if we wouldn't learn so much more from this experience than our students ever will.  


Our most recent assignment is to read one of the second year blogs in its entirety.  I chose to read the blog of a person we'll call Apollo.  You can follow his blog here (unfortunately, his real name isn't Apollo, but it is called "Creed's blog" and rather than reference that dismal band, I'll go with everyone's favorite villain turned tragic hero, Apollo Creed.  Sorry, I digress).  After reading Apollo's blog, I am amazed at the similarities of where I am now and where he was.  It helps that there seems to be a lot of continuity between their blog assignments and ours, so I can read a lot of his posts and relate to exactly what he's talking about.  A post in particular that everyone should read is his post from September 1st entitled, "My Community".  It is particularly helpful because he takes the time to describe the living situation in Indianola, which is where will soon be home.

Apollo is someone coming from a similar perspective.  He is young and relatively inexperienced.  He is a coach and is trying to balance that and teaching (which I hope to do).  He is also goal oriented.  A poignant goal he mentions several times is to "be a second year teacher".  These were words he wrote last September, and I'm proud to read that now, knowing that he is one.  Because of this blog, and my brief knowledge of him, I am excited he will be a second year teacher, and that he will be one in Indianola.  Those voices of reason and sanity will undoubtedly make the hard times a little better, and will remind us of the light that is at the end of the tunnel.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment