Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ch ch ch ch changes...

Spring is springing, birds are chirping, and signs are starting to point toward the end of the school year. This has been the longest 8 months of my life, and in less than two months, our school year will be over. This reality has brought forth a new energy on the campus. Unfortunately this energy has manifest itself in much more skipping, apathy, and near rioting, but none the less, signs are pointing toward May 24. As I look forward, knowing that after May, August will be back before I know it, I also think about what things will be like next fall. How I will be different (and hopefully better) as a teacher, and what our school will look like. As I think about it, I also must think of things I will do differently. Much of my experience has shown me both things that do and don’t work (for me), and one of they key elements to next years success or lessened failure will be implementing my experience and utilizing my “on the job” training. Practically what does that look like? I’ve got a few ideas:


Decorate my room better: Classrooms are meant for learning. Consequently the decor/layout of the room should be conducive for this purpose. I’m far from an interior decorator, but I recognize that the feng shui of the room needs some intentional thought. The room need also be friendlier for classroom procedures. If students are going to gather up calculators or dry erase boards, they need a convenient place to store them.


Be more organized: Ole Miss gave us sweet laptops. The sweet laptops have lots of room to store lots of documents. Consequently, when creating documents or downloading them, there need be a system to keep up with those documents in an organized fashion. I spent some time re-organizing my hard drive (man that sounded nerdy), but it really will be extremely helpful in the long run.


Start stronger: Over the year, I’ve gained much more confidence and understanding in the way this school operates. I have also learned more and more my role as an instructor to these students. Consequently, I will start much stronger next year with classroom management. Bring the ruckus.


Teach to the ACT: There is no state test for Geometry or Trigonometry/Precalculus. Consequently, one of the largest selling points for the two classes is the ACT. If I can improve the scores of my ACT students, I will consider it a success.


Dream of more dynamic lessons: Admittedly a lot of this year was spent learning the material myself. I took neither Trigonometry or Precalculus, and it has been years since I thought of Geometry. Often times I was teaching material I had learned only hours earlier, so I was literally just trying to survive. Next year will be different. With a working knowledge of my curriculum, I’m confident I’ll be able to work toward more dynamic lessons. Students will undoubtedly still think my class is worse than being tarred and featherd, but there’s something to dreaming.


Speak slower, clearer, and more succinctly: When inexperienced and nervous, there is a rush to fill the uncomfortable empty air with noise. Consequently, it is easy to speak quickly and unclearly. This is something exceptional public speakers have mastered and is something I am actively trying to improve. The specific words chosen and the way they are delivered affects the climate of the classroom.


As I brainstorm more, I am confident more ideas will arise. I welcome any new suggestions you have too. Yay for new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment